During the first lockdown in spring 2020, violist Mathis Rochat completely rediscovered the music of Sergei Rachmaninoff for himself. He was so taken with the works that he decided to set up a larger project. A complete programme for VIOLA and PIANO; ONLY Rachmaninoff and NOT a single original work for viola. He then arranged every single work in the programme himself for his instrument. The aim was to give the Russian inspired melodies completely new colours through the choice of instrument “viola”. The result is a very special programme. A selection of Mathis Rochat’s personal favourite works – interestingly, none of these works has ever been recorded in a version for viola.
Mathis Rochat – Rachmaninoff Stories CD [PRE-ORDER]
Estimated shipping date: July 8th, 2022.
1-2. Pieces for Cello and Piano, Op. 2
3. Prelude for Piano solo, Op. 23 No. 4
4-7. Sonata in G minor for Cello and Piano, Op. 19
8. Zdes’ Khorosho – 12 Romances, Op. 21 No. 7
9. Daisies – 6 Romances, Op. 38 No. 3
10. The Dream – 6 Romances, Op. 38 No. 5
11. Mathis Rochat: Capriccio for Viola solo on a Theme of Rachmaninoff
12. Vocalise – 14 Romances, Op. 34 No. 14
Sergey Rachmaninoff: 2 Pieces Op. 2: Prelude, Danse orientale Prélude Op. 23/4 Cello Sonata in G Minor, Op. 19 3 Songs: Zdesh Korosho Daisies Dream Capriccio on a theme by Rachmaninov Vocalise